ROADSIDE BRUSHING PROGRAM
The M.D. would like to advise all residents that the Roadside Brushing Program is being undertaken for the following reasons:
- to enable the full ditch mowing program to be implemented and to control noxious weeds
- to ensure that snow can be properly winged back from the shoulder of the roads during winter
- to prevent excessive drifting of snow
- to allow for better drainage/water flow during spring runoff
- to allow the road surface to dry more quickly as the snow melts during the spring or following a rainfall
- to allow wide farm machinery to safely travel on the municipal roads
- to provide clear visibility to drivers at road intersections to reduce accidents.It is the M.D.’s intention to eventually remove all brush from the road ditches. Permission will be requested if it is deemed necessary to remove trees from private property.Although we realize that the view may significantly change in some areas, your cooperation and understanding would be appreciated as the roadside brushing is completed in your particular area. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Barry Denison or Lyle McKen at 780-338-3845.
The Public Works Department maintains the M.D.’s road and ditch network. The Municipality has its own equipment, but may contract out large jobs such as major road re-building or large culvert replacements.
This is some roadwork done by our staff in the summer of 2008.
Below is the completed section of road.
Approaches – Anyone wishing to have an approach installed onto their property must file a request at the M.D. office. This request must be approved by Council, with the Public Works Foreman determining if a culvert is required, and if so, what size should be used. The M.D.’s policy is that one approach be supplied at M.D. cost per quarter section. The standard size is a 12 metre top (40 feet) with bevelled ends. For a 12 metre top, the culvert must be at least 14 metres wide, including the 1 metre beveled ends. If there is already an existing approach, the landowner must pay for any additional approaches requested.
Backsloping – The M.D. will accommodate requests for backsloping of road ditches at no charge to the landowner, provided the landowner provides any additonal land required at no charge to the Municipality. Any fences present must be removed by the landowner prior to work commencing.
Snowplowing/Grading of Driveways – In order to have your driveway snowplowed by municipal equipment, the resident must sign a Snowplow Agreement with the M.D. and must purchase a snowplow flag, which provides one plowing. At the present time, snowplow flags may be purchased at the M.D. office for a cost of $30.00 plus GST. When plowing is required, the flag should be placed at the end of the driveway and the grader operator will pick it up as he’s plowing the municipal road. A Snowplow Agreement is attached below for your convenience. For summer driveway grading, please phone the Municipal office with your request. Currently, the hourly grader rate averages $202/hour. Snowplow Agreement
Gravel – The M.D. of Peace owns 3 gravel pits, but residents wishing to haul their own gravel may only purchase gravel from the M.D. if our loader is at a pit and municipal staff does the loading. Once per year, usually at the beginning of July, the M.D. hires a contractor to gravel municipal roads. Residents may request that the M.D. also gravel their driveways at this time – the resident will pay the contractor’s rate for hauling as well as the gravel price. Currently, crushed gravel and reject gravel cost $10.00/cubic yard and pit run gravel costs $5.00/cubic yard. These prices include the loading charge.
Dust Control – The Municipality each year will arrange for dust control to be applied on municipal roads in front of residences, at the resident’s cost. Please contact the Municipal Office if you wish dust control for the 2017 spring season and an agreement will be forwarded for your signature. In 2016 calcium chloride solution was applied with an approximate cost of $365 for 100 metres.