The MD of Peace No.135 is separated into 5 divisions, with one Councillor elected from each division at the municipal elections held every 4 years. The Reeve is chosen from among the 5 Councillors at the Organizational Meeting held in October each year. Municipal elections were last held in October 2017.
The criteria for a councillor:
- must be at least 18 years of age
- is a Canadian citizen
- has resided in Alberta for the six consecutive months immediately preceding election day and the person’s place of residence is located in the area on election day
- has been a reisdent of the MD of Peace No.135 and the ward (division) for the six consecutive months immediately preceding nomination day; and
- is not otherwise ineligible or disqualified (see Section 22 of the Local Authorities Election Act for candidate ineligibility).
- please see our Municipal Elections page for more information.
Council meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month starting at 9:00 a.m., as well as every 4th Tuesday starting at 5:00pm. In October of each year, Council holds their Organizational Meeting at which the Reeve and Deputy Reeve are elected from among the Councillors. As well, councillors decide which committees they will sit on and attend meetings in order to represent the MD of Peace.
Click here for a 2019-2020 Boards/Committees the MD is a member of and the Councillor(s) who represent the MD of Peace at them.